We are guaranteed at least one thing in this life — and that is death. There has been an internet sensation going around where people dump a bucket of ice water on their heads to raise awareness for ALS (Lou Gehrig’s Disease). It is estimated that two people per 100,000 people die annually of ALS. Almost 9 million dollars has been raised for the foundation to research ALS. This is fantastic. Here is my question: people die all the time, every day, from something. How do we decide what cause we pick up?
I have tried to pull the most up-to-date statistics that I could find, but these are the most recent I could find. The majority of these statistics are from the CDC’s website and other related sites.
- 2.5 million people die from alcohol related deaths worldwide every year– 85,000 of those deaths are in the USA alone;
- 780,213 die from heart disease;
- 759,338 from abortion;
- 576,691 die from cancer;
- 440,000 die from tobacco;
- 142,943 die from chronic lower respiratory diseases;
- 128,932 die from stroke;
- 126,438 accidental deaths;
- 98,000 die from medical malpractice;
- 84,974 die from Alzheimers;
- 73,831 die from diabetes;
- 53,823 die from the flu and pneumonia;
- 45,591 die from nephritis;
- 41,340 die from drugs (half from illegal drugs and half from prescription drugs);
- 39,518 die from suicide;
- 33,783 die from motor vehicle traffic deaths;
- 16,238 die from homicide (with 11,068 being from firearm homicides);
- 15,529 die from AIDS;
- 8,369 die from HIV;
- 3,331 died as a result of a distracted driver (i.e. texting);
- 3,000 (approximately) from choking;
- 1,300 die by domestic violence.
I could go on and on, but you get the point. People are dying every day from one thing or another. There are also “causes” related to the majority of these above-related deaths as well. Money raised to bring awareness to each and every one of these causes. This is all good. So, how do we decide which “cause” we take up? What do we support? Who do we support? I personally can’t take up every cause. I personally can’t give to every cause. I can’t educate myself on every cause. It is simply not possible for me to do this.
However, the biggest Cause I will take up is having a saving relationship with Jesus Christ. He is above all of these things. We have death and dying in this world because sin came into the world, and we live in a fallen world. Yes, we are guaranteed death in this world, but we have options. John 3:16 says: “For God so loved the world that He gave His One and Only Son (Jesus Christ), that whoever would believe in Him would not perish, but have everlasting Life.”
I can’t guarantee you that your life will become a utopia (heaven on earth) sort of life when you give your life to Christ, but I can guarantee you that you will live with Him forever in heaven should you choose to give your life to Christ. I can guarantee you that with Him, He will give you wisdom, He will be your Provider, He will be your Healer, He will be your Protector. Does this mean nothing bad will ever happen to me again? Nope. It means that He will be with you during the bad, and during the good. Will I see miracles? Yes. Every day. If you look at creation, that is a miracle. How everything works so intrinsically together, so perfectly created, so that when we inhale the air that we breathe we are not killed in an instant. The water we drink is perfectly matched to our bodies to provide what it needs.
Life is a miracle. Life is a gift. Choose this day Whom you will serve.